To promote reading, thinking, learning, enjoyment of the arts, and to enhance the quality of life for all members of the community.
To meet the needs of all members of our community and give them the opportunity to grow intellectually through our valuable free library resources and services we provide to the public.
Jefferson Borough Library was founded in 1959 by the joint efforts of the Jefferson Borough Lions' Club and a group of private citizens. Library shelving was initially placed in the Council Chambers and later moved to the renovated basement of the Municipal Building at 3008 Old Clairton Road
Under the leadership of Charlotte Hill and Madeline Conklin, volunteers were organized to staff the library. The library was financed by a yearly donation from the Borough Council, donations from the Lions' Club, local businesses and citizens. Legislative grants were also received over the years.
Volunteers staffed the library until 1963 when Joyce Schmidt was hired as a librarian. Joyce and her volunteers worked to help the library grow for the next 30 plus years.
In October of 1992, the library moved into the newly erected Municipal Center at 925 Old Clairton Road.
Today under the leadership and direction of an appointed Library Board and Library Director, Jan Reschenthaler, the library is growing rapidly into the 21st century.
The library is now open 50 hours per week. With the addition of computers connected to the World Wide Web and WiFi, as well as a collection of approximately 45,000 books, audio tapes, DVD's and file materials the library is entering yet another exciting time in its development.
The Jefferson Hills Library is a member of the Allegheny County Library Association and the EiNetwork. The library is funded by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the Allegheny County Regional Asset District (RAD), the Borough of Jefferson Hills and generous donations.